BBPI 2017 Field Expedition - Participant Waiver of Liability & Terms
Please read the waiver below, then complete and submit the form at the bottom.
By completing and submitting the form, you certify that you have read, understand, and agree with the waiver and its stipulations, unequivocally and in its entirety.
I, the undersigned accept and understand the following:
- I/we have voluntarily applied to participate in the Bighorn Basin Paleontological Institute’s (BBPI) 2017 Field Expedition. I acknowledge the risks and the potential risks of participation in this program. I am aware that there are inherent risks which occur as a result of physical activity. I/we understand the conditions in the field may at times be hazardous and that some of the following situations may exist or be encountered while participating in the BBPI Field Expedition:
a. The weather may be extremely hot and there is little shade, so be prepared for the hot sun. It may also be very cool.
b. Some work may be along steep slopes where there is a risk of slipping and falling.
c. Excavation work may at times be strenuous and difficult. All physical limitations will be taken into account.
d. Rattlesnakes, scorpions, and other types of hostile wildlife may be encountered.
e. There are large cacti, rocks, and extremely hard soils. Protective footwear and gloves should be worn.
2. I/we realize the nature of the conditions outlined and others not listed above may exist, but agree to accept full responsibility for any injuries or hazards encountered for any family members and myself. I/we agree not to hold the BBPI leadership, or their relatives, the landowners, or any participating academic institution or museum and its personnel liable for any injuries that I or my family members may incur as a result of my/our participation in the scheduled activities of this Field Expedition.
3. I represent that I am in good health and suffer from no physical impairment, which would limit my participation in the BBPI Field Expeditions. I/we agree to notify the BBPI Expedition leadership, prior to my arrival, of any pre-existing medical conditions which could be exacerbated by the rigors of the outdoor activities. These may include, but are not limited to, asthma, heart conditions, allergies, or other pre-existing conditions. I further understand that I/we should carry our own first aid supplies as the BBPI will not provide them for the attendees. Furthermore, all of the personal medical information provided in this document is accurate and complete.
4. I represent that I carry full and complete medical insurance coverage. I acknowledge that the BBPI has not and will not render any medical services including medical diagnosis of my physical condition. I understand the BBPI does not provide any type of medical or liability insurance to cover any possible injuries and accidents while I, (and/or my family members), are participating in this field expedition and/or the scheduled activities. I/we agree to be responsible for carrying my/our own medical and liability insurance for myself and my family members participating in these activities. I agree to provide my/our own liability and medical insurance. I will provide proof of my/our self-insurance to the leadership of the BBPI Field Expedition if required.
5. I/we understand the BBPI does not provide any insurance for my/our vehicle. In the event of any vehicle trouble or accident, I/we agree to assume all responsibility and will not hold the BBPI leadership, or their relatives, the landowners, or any participating academic institution or museum and its personnel liable for any injuries that I (or my family members) may incur as a result of travels to and from this field expedition activity or for anything that may happen to my/our vehicle.
6. I/we understand that the pre-registration deposit is not refundable and that the tuition fees are not refundable after June 1. I/we understand the registration will cover the costs of the meals and lodging, course materials, necessary equipment needed for the scheduled activities, and transportation to/from the airport and to all field sites. I/we understand that these fees do not cover the costs of transportation from your home to the Billings, MT airport or vice versa.
7. I/we will be responsible for bringing (as an attendee) my own gear such as: water bottles, a backpack, personal first aid kit, proper clothing, and anything deemed necessary for the harsh environmental conditions that may be encountered. Each individual must transport all of these items during the scheduled activities. THESE ITEMS ARE MANDATORY FOR ALL ATTENDEES.
8. I/we understand that the activities of the BBPI and its leadership are important scientific studies and my participation is a privilege. There will be no collecting of fossil specimens for my personal use unless otherwise authorized by the BBPI leaders. Camera equipment may be brought to the field activities and used by the attendees if they wish. As such, I/we agree that the locations, scientific information, and other data that is gathered are the proprietary property of the BBPI. I/we will not disclose any information pertaining to the sites without expressed written consent of the BBPI leadership or the landowner of the property upon which we are working. I/we agree not to write any press releases or articles about the activities of the BBPI without written consent and approval by the BBPI. I/we fully understand and agree not to utilize any information obtained by my/our participation in the BBPI for personal monetary gain.
9. I/we agree that as parent(s) or guardian of children under the age of 18 years of age participating in this BBPI, that I/we will be required, at all times, to supervise my child and insure that the child will conduct themselves in a safe and responsible manner, and not disrupt the activities of the BBPI.
10. I/we will allow the BBPI to utilize any picture or video containing my/our image as a promotional product for present or future paleontological activities sponsored by the museum.
11. I/we agree not to litter or deface the area in which we are working or staying.
12. The overall leadership role for the BBPI lies with the Executive Director, Mr. Jason Schein, who is the individual assigned decision making authority for the BBPI. Should he determine that the removal of certain individual(s) is warranted for the best interest of the BBPI, they may do so at any time with just cause. Should this action occur, these individual(s) will be asked to leave and will subsequently not receive any reimbursement for the unused portion of their registration fees.
13. I/we agree and fully understand the terms of this agreement and liability waiver in my/our attendance in the Bighorn Basin Paleontological Institute. By signing below, I/we fully accept these terms for both myself and my family members in attendance.
14. I acknowledge that in consideration of being permitted by the BBPI to participate in its 2017 Field Expedition, I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, and assigns, executors or administrators and/or guardian of my son/my daughter/my ward specially agree that the BBPI shall not be liable for any claim, demand, cause of action of any kind whatsoever for, or on account of death, in any activity associated with the Bighorn Basin Paleontological Institute, and I agree to hold the above-mentioned parties harmless from same. I hereby waive any and all claims for any and all injuries I may suffer under any circumstances, including but not limited to those claims arising from the negligence of the BBPI or its employees, agents, servants, invitees, co-members, contractors, or sub-contractors, employees or otherwise.
15. I understand that by typing my name below and submitting this form, I am creating and submitting a legal electronic signature, and agreeing to the waiver in its entirety.
Once you Click Submit:
You should see a short 'Thank You' message above. You're all done! If you want to go back to the 'Expedition Crew Members & Students Only' page (with at the end of the 'Thank You' message, above), click here: