BBPI 2018 Field Expedition - Participant Waiver of Liability & Terms
Please read the waiver below, then complete and submit the form at the bottom.
By completing and submitting the form, you certify that you have read, understand, and agree with the waiver and its stipulations, unequivocally and in its entirety.
I accept and understand the following:
- I/we have voluntarily applied to participate in the Bighorn Basin Paleontological Institute’s (BBPI) 2018 Field Expedition. I acknowledge and voluntarily accept the risks and the potential risks of participation in this program. I am aware that there are inherent risks which may occur as a result of the types of physical activity, including death. I/we may be engaged in as a part of this program and I/we accept those risks. I/we understand the conditions in the field may at times be hazardous and that some of the hazardous conditions that may be encountered while participating in the BBPI Field Expedition include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The weather may be extremely hot and there is little shade. Alternatively, the weather may be very cold.
- Some work may be along steep slopes where there is a risk of slipping and falling.
- Excavation work may at times be strenuous and difficult. All physical limitations will be taken into account.
- Bears, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and other types of hostile wildlife may be encountered.
- There are large cacti, rocks, and extremely hard soils which may cause injury if protective footwear and gloves are not worn.
- I/we realize the nature of the conditions outlined and others not listed above may exist, but agree to accept full responsibility for any injuries or hazards encountered for any family members and myself. I/we agree not to hold the BBPI leadership, agents, assigns, parent, subsidiaries and affiliates, directors, managers, employees, and representatives, corporations or other entities, trustees, or their relatives, the landowners, or any participating academic institution or museum and its personnel liable for any injuries that I or my family members may incur as a result of my/our participation in the scheduled activities of this Field Expedition.
- I represent that I am in good health and suffer from no physical impairment, which would limit my participation in the BBPI Field Expeditions. I/we agree to notify the BBPI Expedition leadership, prior to my arrival, of any pre-existing medical conditions which could be exacerbated by the rigors of the outdoor activities. These may include, but are not limited to, asthma, heart conditions, allergies, or other pre-existing conditions. I further understand that I/we should carry our own first aid supplies as the BBPI will not provide them for the attendees. I further represent and warrant that all of the personal medical information provided in this document is accurate and complete. I hereby agree to release and hold harmless BBPI leadership, agents, assigns, parent, subsidiary and affiliated corporations or other entities, trustees, relatives, landowners, and/or any participating academic institution or museum and its personnel liable for any injuries resulting from, or exacerbation to, pre-existing medical conditions whether or not disclosed herein.
- I represent that I carry full and complete medical insurance coverage. I acknowledge that the BBPI has not and will not render any medical services including medical diagnosis of my physical condition. I understand the BBPI does not provide any type of medical or liability insurance to cover any possible injuries and accidents while I, (and/or my family members), are participating in this field expedition and/or the scheduled activities. I/we agree to be responsible for carrying my/our own medical and liability insurance for myself and my family members participating in these activities. I agree to provide my/our own liability and medical insurance. I will provide proof of my/our self- insurance to the leadership of the BBPI Field Expedition if requested.
- I/we understand the BBPI does not provide any insurance for my/our vehicle. In the event of any vehicle trouble or accident, I/we agree to assume all responsibility and will not hold the BBPI leadership, agents, assigns, parent, subsidiaries and affiliates, directors, managers, employees, and representatives, corporations or other entities, trustees, or their relatives, the landowners, or any participating academic institution or museum and its personnel liable for any injuries or property damage that I (or my family members) may incur as a result of travel of any kind that may occur during this field expedition including travel to and from the field expedition.
- I/we understand that the pre-registration deposit is not refundable and that the tuition fees are not refundable after June 1. I/we understand the registration will cover the costs of the meals and lodging, course materials, necessary equipment needed for the scheduled activities, and transportation to/from the airport and to all field sites. I/we understand that these fees do not cover the costs of transportation from the participant’s home to the Billings, MT airport or vice versa.
- I/we will be responsible for bringing (as an attendee) my/our own gear such as: water bottles, a backpack, personal first aid kit, proper clothing, and anything deemed necessary for the harsh environmental conditions that may be encountered. Each individual must transport all of these items during the scheduled activities. THESE ITEMS ARE MANDATORY FOR ALL ATTENDEES.
- I/we understand that firearms of any kind are strictly prohibited on my person or in my possession at any time throughout my participation in the 2018 Field Expedition. I further understand that firearms of any kind are prohibited at the Yellowstone-Bighorn Research Association, at any of the BBPI’s field sites, and within BBPI vehicles.
- I/we understand that the activities of the BBPI and its leadership are important scientific studies and my participation is a privilege. There will be no collecting of fossil specimens for my personal use unless otherwise authorized by the BBPI leaders. Camera equipment may be brought to the field activities and used by the attendees if they wish. As such, I/we agree that the locations, scientific information, and other data that is gathered are the proprietary property of the BBPI. I/we will not disclose any information pertaining to the sites without expressed written consent of the BBPI leadership or the landowner of the property upon which we are working. I/we agree not to write any press releases or articles about the activities of the BBPI without written consent and approval by the BBPI. I/we fully understand and agree not to utilize any information obtained by my/our participation in the BBPI for personal monetary gain.
- I/we agree that as parent(s) or guardian of children under the age of 18 years of age participating in this BBPI, that I/we will be required, at all times, to supervise my child and insure that the child will conduct themselves in a safe and responsible manner, and not disrupt the activities of the BBPI. I hereby agree to release and hold harmless BBPI leadership, agents, assigns, parent, subsidiary and affiliated corporations or other entities, trustees, relatives, landowners, and/or any participating academic institution or museum and its personnel liable for any injuries that may be sustained by the child in my supervision.
- I/we will allow the BBPI to utilize any picture or video containing my/our image as a promotional product for present or future paleontological activities sponsored by the museum.
- I/we agree not to litter or deface the area(s) in which we are working or staying.
- The overall leadership role for the BBPI lies with the Executive Director, Mr. Jason Schein, who is the individual assigned decision-making authority for the BBPI. Should he determine that the removal of certain individual(s) is warranted for the best interest of the BBPI, they may do so at any time with just cause. Should this action occur, these individual(s) will be asked to leave and will subsequently not receive any reimbursement for the unused portion of their registration fees.
- I acknowledge that in consideration of being permitted by the BBPI to participate in its 2018 Field Expedition, I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, and assigns, executors or administrators and/or guardian of my son/my daughter/my ward hereby expressly release, acquit and forever discharge BBPI leadership, agents, assigns, parent, subsidiaries and affiliates, directors, managers, employees, and representatives, corporations or other entities, trustees, or their relatives, the landowners, or any participating academic institution or museum and its personnel from liability for any and all claims, actions, demands or causes of action, of any kind whatsoever, relating to or in any way arising out of or resulting from any bodily injury, death of any person or damage to real or tangible personal property regardless of whether or not such injury, death or damage resulted from the negligence of BBPI or its employees, agents, servants, invitees, co-members, contractors, or sub-contractors, employees or otherwise.
- I/we agree and fully understand the terms of this agreement and liability waiver in my/our attendance in the Bighorn Basin Paleontological Institute. By completing and submitting below, I/we fully accept these terms for both myself and my family members in attendance.
Once you Click Submit:
You should see a short 'Thank You' message above. You're all done! If you want to go back to the 'Expedition Crew Members & Students Only' page (at the end of the 'Thank You' message, above), click here: