Field Expedition Visitors
Aren't ready to join the Field Expedition for an entire week? Just have a day or two while passing through? You can still join the adventure and help our teams excavate these amazing dinosaurs!
Daily Expedition Visitors
You are invited to join our field expeditions for 1 or 2-day visits. But you won't just be "visitors" - you'll be contributing to decades-long research projects by helping our field teams find and excavate the fossilized remains of dinosaurs and other ancient life million of years old!
To learn a lot more about our expeditions, please be sure to read all of the information provided on our Public Expeditions and Frequently Asked Questions pages. Please also review all of the information on this page before proceeding.
What to Expect
- We will meet you at a pre-arranged location in Red Lodge at ~8am on the morning(s) of your visit.
- Depending on the site we are visiting that day, the commute may be between 45 and 70 minutes.
- We work from the time we arrive to as late as 4pm.
- You are free to eat lunch whenever you prefer.
- 4-wheel drive vehicles are not usually required to access our field locations. However, higher vehicles, like SUVs, are recommended. We also recommend that you carry at least one can of Fix-A-Flat or similar product.
Regular Expedition Visitors: $125/person/day
- BBPI Members receive discounts up to 50%!
- Nonprofit rates are available to:
- Individual or groups of teachers
- Student groups, including courses
- Nonprofit groups dedicated to nature, science, and education
- Expedition Visitors are limited to 2 daily visits per week.
- A 5% credit card processing fee is added to all credit card payments.
- Reservations will be held up to 10 business days for checks to be mailed and delivered.
Want the Full Experience Instead?
If you decide that you'd rather join us for a week and get the full, incredible experience, be sure to sign up on our Join the Expedition page!
The health and safety of our crew is our first concern. Weather is the the primary factor determining when we leave the field sites in the afternoon, and also happens to be extremely difficult to predict in this region. Storms or even rain in these areas can be quite dangerous in the field, and even hazardous for vehicle travel. We must evacuate if there is a significant chance of rain. Excessive heat may also limit the amount of time we can spend in the field.
- Reimbursements of 50% will be provided if and only if weather forces us to evacuate the field before 12 noon.
Adherence to Federal Laws iS required
Much of our field work will be conducted on public (Bureau of Land Management, or U.S. Forest Service) lands, and there are very strict rules governing the collection of fossils from these areas. Click HERE for a review of fossils on public lands and the rules concerning their collection. These rules MUST be adhered to – revocation of our collecting permits, or even prosecution, may result if these rules are violated.
There will be opportunities to collect plant and/or invertebrate fossils for your personal collection. However, since this is a research project first and foremost, all materials collected for personal use must be approved by BBPI Expedition staff.
One of the missions of the BBPI is to protect fossil resources, especially those on public lands. If we find or suspect that anyone joining us is collecting vertebrate fossils illegally, or collecting and/or publicly sharing the location of fossil sites, we will immediately:
- remove you from the premesis
- report you to local law enforcement and BLM state and district offices
- not refund your fees
Anyone suspected of being a commercial fossil dealer will not be allowed to join our field expeditions. If it is discovered that you are a fossil dealer, we will:
- refund 50% of your visitor fees if and only if the discovery is made prior to 30 days before your scheduled visit to our field sites.
- report you to local authorities and to the BLM state and district offices.
ACCOMMODATIONS and Travel Arrangements
Lodging: Daily Expedition visitors must arrange their own lodging. There are many wonderful options in Red Lodge, Montana.
Transportation: With few exceptions, Daily Expedition Visitors must also arrange their own transportation. Each morning of your visit we will meet you in Red Lodge at a pre-arranged location and you will be able to follow us to our sites.
We are fiercely protective of the integrity of our science, our research, our field sites, and of the laws designed to protect each of these concerns. On these issues we will not compromise.
CANCELLATIONS and Reimbursements
If the trip cancellation is initiated by the Expedition Visitor:
- prior to 30 days before the scheduled visit, we will reimburse 50% of your visitor fees.
- within 30 days of your scheduled visit, visitor fees cannot be reimbursed.
- If an alternative date can be agreed upon, your visitor fees may be transferred to that date.
If the trip is cancellation is initiated by the BBPI at any time:
- we will reimburse 100% of the visitor fees
If the expedition daily visit is shortened due to weather, injury, or any other risks to the health and safety of any member of the expedition:
- the BBPI will reimburse 50% of the daily visitor fees if and only if the expedition is evacuated prior to 12 noon
- no reimbursement is possible if the daily expedition ends for any of the reasons stated above after 12 noon.
Ready to Join Us?
Here are the steps needed to sign up:
- Complete the Daily Expedition Registration Form (below)
- Completing this form does not obligate you to joining us. It only indicates your interest in joining our program. Registration is not completed until we have confirmed your preferred dates and payment is made in full.
- Once you have submitted this form, we will contact you shortly to confirm your preferred dates.
2. Submit Payment
3. Complete Additional Forms
4. Sit back and wait for your adventure to begin!
1. Daily Expedition Visitor Registration Form
2. Submit Your Payment
Payments may be made by clicking the link here.
- No reservation is confirmed until the registration form (above) has been completed AND payment is made in full.
- A 5% credit card processing fee is added to credit card payments. Reservations will be held for up to 10 business days for payments made by check.
- Expedition Visitors who would like to receive the BBPI Member's discount MUST be a BBPI Member prior to registration.
3. Additional Forms
Your registration may be complete, but there is still some information we need before you can join us in the field. All forms must be completed and submitted no later than June 1, 2018.
Here's a complete list of the required forms:
1. Waiver - A Participant Waiver of Liability and Terms must be electronically signed, submitted, and on-file for every member of your party prior to your trip.
2. Medical Form - A Medical Information and Release Form must be completed, signed, submitted, and on-file for every member of your party. This is a low-tech pdf form that must be submitted to us one of the old-fashioned ways listed below. Yes, we know this is more trouble, but it is for purposes of confidentiality, and in case of emergency, ease of communication with medical professionals. If you submit this form via email, please make sure you are submitting a pdf, and not a jpg of each page. You can submit this form via:
Email: JSchein(at)BBPaleo.org Mail: 3959 Welsh Road, Ste. 208
Willow Grove, PA 19090
3. Image Release - The BBPI would like to use images of our Expedition Visitors for marketing purposes, on social media, our website, etc. Please see our image release waiver below for details. You are, of course, NOT REQUIRED to sign and submit this form.
HELPFUL INFORMATION & REMINDERS
This list of required and recommended items (below) is based on our own experiences, and is not intended to be comprehensive.
Weather conditions change quickly and unexpectedly throughout the field areas. Participants should be prepared for a range of weather conditions each day, regardless of the forecast.
Required Every Day
- Water and water bottle(s): Water many not always be readily available, so you must carry at least 3 liters of water with you each day.
- Loose-fitting, light-weight, LIGHT-COLORED clothing - enough to create layers! Jeans are not recommended.
- Sun screen: high SPF and waterproof
- Sturdy and comfortable hiking or work boots
- Personal First Aid kit
- Whistle (preferably one with a compass)
**Hand tools will be provided
Suggested for the Field
- Light & heavyweight socks
- Work gloves
- Chap stick (with SPF)
- Insect repellent
- Eyeglasses (contact lenses are not recommended)
- Knee pads or cushion
- Camera/binoculars/notebook: This trip will provide some exciting moments and spectacular scenery that you will want to remember and share.